Video games are one of the most popular forms of entertainment in the modern world today, attracting millions of gamers and viewers worldwide. As technology advances, video games have also dramatically evolved, becoming increasingly diverse, realistic, and interactive. The Rise of Artificial Intelligence technology has resulted in an immense influence on the world of gaming. AI is a group of technologies that aim to simulate or enhance human capabilities in areas; such as learning, reasoning, creativity, and interaction. So, how artificial intelligence is changing video games; is what we will answer in this article.
Artificial intelligence is a set of technologies intended to simulate or enhance human intelligence and capabilities in different tasks, such as learning, reasoning, creativity, and interaction. In the gaming industry, artificial intelligence is used to improve the gamers’ experience by adding thrilling, diverse, and realistic elements to games.
Some AI usages in games are:
- Create smarter, responsive characters: AI allows non-playable characters (NPCs) to behave in persuasive and changing ways that adapt according to game situations and players’ reactions. For example, Red Dead Redemption 2 used augmented reality to make NPCs negotiate with each other, make strategic decisions, and display emotional reactions.
- Create vast and rich virtual worlds: AI can automatically or semi-automatically generate enormous and detailed virtual worlds using techniques; such as Procedural Generation or Generative Adversarial Networks. For instance, No Man’s Sky benefited from procedural generation to generate randomly unique planets, animals, and space stations.
- Add challenging and entertaining elements: AI can make games more challenging and fun by adding defying and amusing factors such as dynamic difficulty adjustment, personalized content, or generated dialogue. For example, “Left 4 Dead” used the AI Director system to adjust the difficulty level of events, enemies, and weapons based on players’ performance and behavior.
Some examples of video games use artificial intelligence:
There are many instances of video games that use artificial intelligence, whether in game design or the players’ interaction with it. Among these examples are:
● Pong, one of the oldest video games that avail artificial intelligence to move the paddle and ball simply and logically.
● Pacific Rim, a combat game benefit from AI to create diverse and clever opponents that fight the player with different moves and changing tactics.
● The Sims, a life simulation game that utilizes AI to build characters that act independently and according to their personalities, desires, and relationships with others.
● Doom, a first-person shooter that AI helps it to establish smart enemies that avoid damage and attack the gamer strategically.
● FIFA, a soccer game that employs AI to construct teams and players that move realistically and in sync with the soccer ball and on the pitch.
In this article, we looked at how artificial intelligence is changing the world of video games. We’ve seen how AI is being used to escalate the gamers’ experience by adding to the game elements of excitement, diversity, and realism, such as creating intelligent, interactive characters, building vast and rich virtual worlds, and adding challenging and entertaining components. We recommend that game makers and users be careful and responsible in their use of AI technology and always strike a balance between entertainment, learning, and development.